Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Just a number...

Registered for classes tonight. Very confusing process. Bond University could take a note or two out of the way WSU does it. Also received my student number! No longer a nobody within the student system. Student 10742654 to WSU and now Student 1298754 to Bond University! And also received my email address (not as exciting, but still).

As per my degree, I have to fulfill 120 points to graduate with a Masters in Criminology, with each class being 10 points. At 3 classes a semester (30 points) I'll be out of here in 4 semesters. 10 points transfers over to either 3 or 4 credits to the US Educational System depending on the structure of the class.

For my first courseload of the semester I've chosen CHNL71: Chinese 1, CRIM71: Introduction to Criminology, and HUMR71: Epistemology and Theory of Knowledge (ETK). While ETK is a CORE subject that I have to take as part of Master of Criminology, I must also take one more CORE class, 9 other optional classes and a humanities course as well (to make up 12 classes). So for my humanities course I decided to go with Chinese. I've always wanted to learn aside from German and with China being just North I would like to take what I've learned and apply it to real-world scenarios. Plus China just surpassed Japan as the world's 2nd economy (behind the US). So if I can't get a job in the world's 1st economy, I can fall back on number 2 right?


As per the photo: Australia uses the 24 hour clock system, which is nice since I use it with my iPhone (if you know me, it's true). Chinese makes up of class seminars two days a week, Monday and Friday (and I wanted Fridays off too...). ETK makes up of a class on Monday followed by a tutorial on Wednesday. Tutorials are kind of what English 102 was or labs for all the science courses for all my WSU peeps out there. For the rest, we have these ENORMOUS classes making up of about 300-500 students, tutorials break down that population to 15-30 students per class. Within these, professors go over the lecture of the week, the reading material, and how to best prep for quizzes and tests. When I was studying at Griffith University in 2007, I found these tutorials VERY helpful and I wish more US universities would adapt to it. And lastly, the same process for Intro to Criminology.

Classes start Sept 13 and end with last day of finals Dec 18 followed by 3 week summer break. Another step towards the right direction! Still working on housing though... 21 more days until Australia!

Cheers! Or should I say 欢呼! (Is that correct? Should be, I copied and pasted, HAHA)

No comments:

Post a Comment